Chicken katsu with pickled carrot and coriander slaw
Week 2, Saturday
Time: 40 minutes
Vegetarian swap: swap chicken for tofu
- 100ml sherry vinegar
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 280g basmati rice
- 30g coriander
- 4 chicken breasts
- 300g Katsu Curry sauce
- 2 medium eggs
- 200g panko bread crumbs
- 100g carrots
- 1. Finely slice the carrots into slithers and add to a bowl with the chopped coriander, garlic, sherry vinegar and a dash of cold water. Sit to one side to allow to pickle.
- 2. Add half the breadcrumbs to a blender and blitz until a fine flour consistency, then add to a flat bowl or plate.
- 3. Crack the eggs and whisk on another plate. Add the breadcrumbs (un-blitzed) to a third plate.
- 4. Flatten the individual chicken breasts (one at a time) in a food bag using a rolling pin. This should make the chicken around 10mm thick.
- 5. Add the oil to a shallow frying pan and bring to a medium high heat, once the oil is sizzling (use a small leave of tissue to test for a sizzle sound).
- 6. Now dip the chicken into the breadcrumb flour, then the egg and finally into the breadcrumbs. Place the chicken into the oiled pan, cook for 3- minutes on each side, ensuring the chicken is piping hot all the way through.
- 7. Meanwhile, add the rice to double the quantities of water and bring to the boil. Place a lid on the top and return the heat to low. Cook for a further 10 minutes until the water has disappeared. Do not stir.
- 8. Heat the curry sauce in a sauce pan until bubbling hot.
- 9. Serve the rice then the chicken with a covering of the curry sauce. Drain the pickled salad and layer to the side of the chicken.
Buy Ingredients Now
- Sherry Vinegar£2.92Stock available
- Everyday Favourites Cracked Black Peppercorn£2.92Stock available
- Everyday Favourites Cooking Salt£1.09Stock available
- KTC Extended Life Vegetable oil..£0.85Stock available
- Everyday Favourites Chopped Garlic in Oil£3.42Stock available
- Everyday Favourites Basmati Rice£6.99Stock available
- Everyday Favourites Katsu Curry Sauce£8.74Stock available
- Everyday Favourites Medium Fresh Eggs£3.09Stock available
- Yutaka Panko Bread Crumbs 300g£1.11Stock available
- Growers Pride Carrots Baby Whole British£0.75Stock available