Pulled beef casserole
Week 3, Sunday
Time: 3 hours
Vegetarian swap: swap 800g topside for 4 giant field mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 300g sliced onions
- 3 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp bouillon paste with 300ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp bisto gravy
- 200g chopped leeks
- 250g carrots
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 100g tomato paste
- 75cl red wine
- 800g roast potatoes
- 800g topside, cut into large chunks
- 1. Place a large casserole dish on a high heat, add the olive oil, salt, pepper and sear the chunks of meat, turning regularly to insure even colouring.
- 2. Add the balsamic vinegar. Take your time with this as you want to turn the meat slowly to ensure caramelised sides to the meat.
- 3. Take the meat out and keep to one side, now add the onions and garlic to the pan, sweating the onions off for around 10 minutes until golden. You can add a splash of water to get any of the caramelised bits from the meat at the bottom
- 4. Add the leeks and tomato paste, cooking out the tomato paste for around 2 mins.
- 5. Place the beef chunks back in with the onion and the red wine.
- 6. Add the bouillon with the boiling water and stir, then pour over the beef chunks and place in a pre-heated oven at 170c for 2.5 hours.
- 7. Add the carrots at around 2 hours and stir them into the sauce.
- 8. Add the potatoes with some oil to a baking tray and roast for 40 mins alongside the casserole.
- 9. Take the casserole out of the oven and using two forks, gently pull the meat apart into the sauce, if the sauce is drying up, simply add more hot water and stir in the bisto.
- 10. Place back into the oven until the sauce has reduced to your preferred consistency.
- 11. Serve the casserole with big chunks of the pulled beef and the gravy red wine sauce alongside the roast potatoes.
Buy Ingredients Now
- Everyday Favourites Coated Roast Potatoes£3.07Stock available
- La Espanola Pure Olive Oil Glass£2.23Stock available
- Everyday Favourites Cracked Black Peppercorn£2.92Stock available
- Everyday Favourites Cooking Salt£1.09Stock available
- Everyday Favourites Chopped Garlic in Oil£3.42Stock available
- Everyday Favourites Gluten Free Beef Flavour Bouillon Paste£10.59Stock available
- Sliced Onions£1.25Stock available
- Bisto Gravy Granules£1.46Stock available
- Everyday Favourites Cut Leeks£1.00Stock available
- Growers Pride Carrots Baby Whole British£0.75Stock available
- Il Borgo Balsamic Vinegar of Modena£2.61Stock available
- Everyday Favourites Tomato Paste£0.59Stock available