1. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, a pinch of salt & pepper, basil pesto, juice of half the lemon, garlic, onions, coriander and carrots to a deep pan and cook on a medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring regularly.
2. Add the balsamic vinegar, red wine, rosemary, basil, chopped tomatoes and 200ml of hot water to the mix and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Using a stick blender or table top blender, blitz until smooth.
4. Meanwhile, salt and pepper the aubergine and add 1 tbsp olive oil to a hot frying pan.
5. Add the aubergine and fry until golden in colour.
6. While the aubergine is cooking add the spaghetti to a seasoned pan of boiling water and cook for 8-9 minutes.
7. Drain the spaghetti but leave 2 x tbsp of the pasta water with the spaghetti, then add the blitzed sauce along with the chunks of aubergine.
8. Serve the spaghetti with a generous squeeze of lemon and grate over some parmesan cheese.